Monday, May 10, 2010

Change is good...

Well, we had our first big change today, and I think it's a good one. On the original plan, you entered into a sort of hallway from the garage with the pantry on the right leading into the hallway in front of the dining room and the mudroom/laundry room on the left. It was brought to my attention that perhaps we might prefer to enter directly into the mudroom from the garage, which is the whole purpose of having a mudroom, right? I think you could more accurately describe this space as a "drop zone" since you can leave jackets, shoes, backpacks, etc. and not have to clutter up the house with those items. The new plan enters directly into the mudroom, which in turn enlarged that space. This change allowed us to add two "lockers" (which is nice since we are a family of four) and make the pantry bigger (which was a concern of mine.) It also increased the width of the back wall of the kitchen. I'm really excited about that change, because now my cook top can be centered with the island. I like symmetry and I think that would have driven me crazy! So check out the two plans...before and after.

Here is the original:


And here's the new plan:


I liked the original because you could see the open staircase and all the way out the back of the house, but I think the new version is going to be more functional for us as a busy family. Tell me what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Oh and by the way, I sent the email regarding this change at 8:30 this morning, Architect Jim called me at 9:00, and we met at the lot at 1:00. Change...DONE. Now that's some service; I love these people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a very smart change. We redid our "laundry room" and made it into more of a "mud room" and it has really helped keep the clutter from getting to the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stace! I think so too. We used to drop everything on the dining room, so it'll be nice to have a spot to keep all the "stuff."

    ReplyDelete